Tom Aznable (@TomAznable) of The Cockpit Podcast returns to the AGP to talk to Evan and David about Anime NYC and the future of anime conventions, the recent anime announcements from Netflix and Crunchyroll (Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop live action, and the Blade Runner anime series), and the recent controversy surrounding Studio Trigger’s homage to Masami Obari in SSSS.Gridman. Topics include: bullying Rei Ayanami, The One Piece Rap Musical, and asset replication.
- Opening/Ending Song: “Blues Machine” by Scott Gratton
- First up, the hosts talk about Anime NYC, the history of anime cons in New York City (including Big Apple Anime Fest, New York Anime Festival, and New York Comic Con), and where anime cons are going from here.
- Netflix will stream the Evangelion TV series and movies.
- Netflix is producing a Cowboy Bebop live-action series.
- Crunchyroll and Adult Swim are producing a Blade Runner anime series called Blade Runner: Black Lotus.
- Evan references these news stories about Tomorrow Studios developing a Bebop live-action series and a One Piece live-action series.
- Tom references this live-action Cowboy Bebop short directed by Shinichiro Watanabe.
- Then it’s SSSS.Gridman discussion time. We’re saving a full discussion for a review episode when it finishes airing, so this time we focus on animator Masami Obari’s criticisms of the creative team’s homages to his animation, specifically a sequence from The Brave Express Might Gaine.
- Twitter: Evan, David, Ani-Gamers
- Mastodon: Evan, David
- Evan and David write for Otaku USA Magazine. Evan wrote an article about Gainax and the studios formed by its alumni in the latest Anime USA special issue.
- Evan sometimes updates his side blog Anime Burger Time.
- Evan wrote the scripts for the recently completed season of Crunchyroll’s Anime Academy YouTube series, and hosted four episodes of it. This season is all about animation.
- David is streaming every weekend on his Twitch channel.