Returning guest Dave Cabrera from Kawaiikochans joins Evan and David to discuss the two FLCL sequel series, Progressive and Alternative. We cover the differences between the two series, how they interpret the themes of the original, and whether or not it's worth it to watch past season 1 of FLCL. And of course, it wouldn't be a FLCL discussion without multiple pronunciations of the title, and we cover the whole spectrum, from F L C L to Furi Kuri to Fooly Cooly. Topics include: the puberty alien, Urusei Yatsura light novels, and Jared Leto Haruko.
- Opening/Ending Song: "Blues Machine" by Scott Gratton
- FLCL music inserts:
- “Ride on Shooting Star” by The Pillows from FLCL
- “Spiky Seeds” by The Pillows from FLCL Progressive
- “Star Overhead” by The Pillows from FLCL Alternative
- We talk the original FLCL and the announcement of its sequels, then Progressive, then Alternative.
- Evan references his interview with FLCL Progressive character designer Chikashi Kubota a few times.
- Twitter: Evan, David, Ani-Gamers
- Mastodon: Evan, David, Dave
- Dave’s got an excellent webcomic called Kawaiikochans.
- Evan and David write for Otaku USA Magazine
- Evan sometimes updates his side blog Anime Burger Time.
- Evan wrote the scripts for the recently completed season of Crunchyroll’s Anime Academy YouTube series, and hosted four episodes of it. This season is all about animation.
- David is streaming every weekend on his Twitch channel.