In this extended episode, Evan brings in special guests Daryl Surat (Anime World Order, Otaku USA) and ABCBTom (The Fandom Post, Crunchyroll News) to review Alita: Battle Angel, James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez’s live-action adaptation of Yukito Kishiro’s manga series Gunnm, aka Battle Angel Alita. The episode is mostly spoiler-free, other than a section at the end marked by a handy spoiler alert. David sat this one out, but fear not, he’ll be back soon. Topics include: the dang anime eyes, CGI My Neighbor Totoro, and the Truth of Zalem.
- Opening/Ending Song: "Blues Machine" by Scott Gratton
- It’s all Alita this episode! The topics:
- The movie’s long road to finally being made.
- How did it do as an adaptation of Kishiro’s manga?
- How well did it do as a standalone movie?
- What does it mean for other anime movies going forward?
- After the main discussion is over, the hosts start spoiling the movie, so look out for that spoiler warning!
- Tom appeared on Crunchycast Episode 10.
- Twitter: Evan, Daryl, Tom, Ani-Gamers
- Mastodon: Evan
- Evan and Daryl write for Otaku USA Magazine. Evan wrote an article about Winter Comiket for the Otaku USA website and has a feature about Evangelion in an upcoming issue.
- Daryl hosts the Anime World Order Podcast with co-hosts Gerald and Clarissa.
- Daryl writes for Anime News Network.
- Evan wrote about Dragon Ball Super: Broly’s action-packed finale for IGN!
- Evan sometimes updates his side blog Anime Burger Time.
- David is streaming every weekend on his Twitch channel.