If you're going to Otakon this weekend, keep an eye out for Ink and me as we scurry around the massive Baltimore convention trying to balance the giant schedule of excellent panels with our own events and a series of guest interviews. This year, Ink and I have five panels between the two of us:
- Beyond Miyazaki: The Directors of Studio Ghibli (Friday, 10:15–11:15am in Panel 2): My panel reminding fans that there are directors OTHER than Hayao Miyazaki at Studio Ghibli, and they've made some pretty cool movies.
- Poetry in Anime: The Power of Words in a Visual Medium (Friday, 7–8pm in Panel 3): Ink's poetry panel, full of in-depth analysis and historical context for a number of instances of poetry in anime.
- Otakon is Alive with the Sound of Anime (Saturday, 2:15–3:15pm in AMV Theater): Ink is the co-panelist for this music-in-anime-themed panel from All Geeks Considered's Vinnie Averello.
- The Rise of CG Anime (Sunday, 9–10am in Panel 4): My detailed history of computer graphics in anime, both in 2-D and 3-D, breaking down techniques and technologies along the way.
- Crunchyroll: Working in the Anime Industry (Sunday, 1–2pm in Panel 5): I'm one of the panelists on this Crunchyroll roundtable featuring various employees from the company discussing our experiences in the industry.
We also have two confirmed interviews (and who knows, maybe more on the way): director Seiji Kishi (Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Assassination Classroom, Persona 4) and prolific director/storyboard artist Shinji Takamatsu (School Rumble, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Gintama, Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, Gundam X Brave Police J-Decker). Feel free to comment with any questions you have for them (or any other guests) and we'll try to get them answered.
And if you're at Otakon and you see us at an event or wandering around the hallways, don't be afraid to come up and say hi, though we may have to rush off afterward. To see what stuff we're probably rushing to, check out our tentative schedules below and follow Ink and me on Twitter.
- Awesome Animation Not From Japan
- Beyond Miyazaki: The Directors of Studio Ghibli
- Aoki/Kurosaki/Nagano Autographs
- MAPPA w/ Maruyama
- I Love the 90s: Anime Edition
- Fast Times at Anime High: School in Anime
- Dark Horse Comics Industry Panel
- Shinji Takamatsu Q&A
- Anime Directors You Should Know
- The Worst Anime of All Time
- Skin Deep: A Historical Look at Diversity in Anime & Beyond
- BWAAH! MAXIMUM MANLY MEGA-MANGA: Seinen Explosion!
- Disappearing Women: Tracing Womens Roles from Yaoi to Reverse Harem and Beyond
- Anime That Time Forgot
- Seiji Kishi Q&A
- When Gundam Goes Bad
- Aldnoah.Zero Guest Panel
- Geek Parenting: Raising the Next Generation of Fans
- Anime's Appearances in US Media
- Shirobako and the Real Anime Industry
- I Hate Sports: A Sports Anime Panel
- Kill la Kill and Feminism
- Violent Japanimation from Japan: The Best Hyperviolent Cartoons You Should Be Watching
- The Rise of CG Anime
- Aniplex Aldnoah.Zero Autographs
- Great Ugly Manga
- Kamikakushi: Taken by the Gods
- Bootleg Anime from South Korea
- Working in the Anime Industry
- 5:00 to 6:30 pm – Project BECK (Matsuri)
- 9:00 to 10:00 am – Angels in Anime – Panel 7
- The Nose Goes!!!: A FKMT Panel – Panel 1
- 10:00 to 11:00 am – Takamatsu Autograph – Autograph 1
- 10:30 to 11:30 am – Aoki/Kurosaki/Nagano Autograph – Autograph 2
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm – MAPPA w/Maruyama – Panel 3
- 12:45 to 1:45 pm – Kuro Fashion: African-American Influence in Animation & Japan [F] – Panel 2
- 2:00 to 3:00 pm – Fast Times at Anime High: School in Anime [F+] – Panel 1
- 3:15 to 4:15 pm – Crunchyroll Industry Panel – Panel 5
- 4:30 to 5:30 pm – No Side: A History of Japanese Punk and Hardcore – Panel 3
- Shinji Takamatsu Q&A – Panel 6
- Garo: The Animation Official Panel – Panel 2
- 7:00 to 8:00 pm – Poetry in Anime: The Power of Words in a Visual Medium [F] – Panel 3
- 9:00 to 10:00 am – When Subtitles Go Wrong [F] – Panel 1
- 10:15 to 11:45 am – Project Beck Performance and Q&A – Live Programming
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm – Seiji Kishi Q&A – Panel 6
- 2:15 to 3:15 pm – Otakon is Alive with the Sounds of Anime – AMV Theater
- 3:15 to 4:15 pm – The Japanese Fairy Tales: A Dramatic Reading of the Farmer and the Tongue-Cut Bird – Panel 6
- 4:30 to 5:30 pm – Anime's Appearances in US Media – Panel 5
- Gender and Manga Representations of Sexuality: Focusing on Female Readers in Japan – Panel 1
- 7:00 to 8:00 pm – From Anime to Live Action: You Can (Not) Adapt – Panel 3
- 8:15 to 9:15 pm – The Wanderer's History: The History Behind Rurouni Kenshin – Panel 4
- 11:45 pm to 12:45 am – Violent Japanimations From Japan: The Best Hyperviolent Cartoons You Should Be Watching
- 10:15 to 11:15 am – Art of Animation Featuring Garo – Panel 6
- Great Ugly Manga Panel 3
- 10:45 to 11:45 am – Kamikakushi: Taken by the Gods – Panel 7
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm – Bootleg Anime from South Korea – Panel 6